Maria Island - Summer Tour
- Duration: 10 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Tasmania
- Product code: MIGP01
Maria Island is a special place with something for everyone - historic ruins, sweeping bays, rugged cliffs and mountains, and remarkable wildlife. Set just off the warm East Coast, the island is easily accessed by ferry. Once on the island, you will discover a place where there are no motor vehicles, no shops and no worries.
- Tour departs the Hobart Travel and Information Centre (Corner of Davey and Elizabeth St) at 7:20 AM
- Drive to the fishing town of Triabunna, board scenic boat trip to Maria Island.
- For guests meeting us in Triabunna, please meet out the front of the information centre by 8:30 AM
- Morning Tea or Coffee on the ferry - we view the map and give welcome to the Island.
- Spend the morning walking to the Fossil Cliffs (1.5-hours loop), enjoying the views of Bishop and Clerk and watching the local wildlife in their natural environment.
- Explore the World Heritage listed convict station of Darlington. Lunch will be served inside a historic convict building.
- The afternoon will be spent walking to the vibrant Painted Cliffs (1.5-hour return) and learning about the rich natural and cultural history of the island.
- After the walk, relax with a glass of local wine and keep an eye out for more wombats!
- Guided by two qualified eco-guides, you will experience 'Maria' like a local.
- Return to Hobart between 5:30, traffic depending.
Walking time: 4 hours | Walking distance: 9KM
Track Rating: 2, involves hardened formed tracks, short hill section, cliff edge
Food: morning tea, cooked lunch.
Drinks: Coffee, tea, water, afternoon wine
Terrain: Beach, coastal, small hills